“Argilera” BUNKER 1944-1949
During the Second World War, the Franco government ordered bunkers to be built along the Pyrenees to defend the country against possible air, maritime or artillery attacks from the Allies. However, the bunkers were never actually used despite the huge investment in setting up the so-called “P-Line” defence system.
The bunkers were built to a fairly standard pattern throughout the geographical area, using mainly iron and concrete with some wooden features inside. The coastal bunkers were usually camouflaged with materials similar to those found naturally in the area.