Tree of Liberty
TREE OF LIBERTY 13th-14th centuries
Planted in 1870. The Tree of Liberty (or “Main Square Tree”) is a robust, graceful deciduous plane tree (Platanus hybrida) of about 25 metres high which casts welcome shade in spring and summer.
The origin of the name dates back to the French Revolution in 1789, when trees were planted on public squares all over Western Europe as a symbol of the freedoms attained by the people.
The Tree of Liberty was planted in 1870, according to Joan Baptista Seriñana, who noted the event in his Libreta de memorias among other items of news.
In 1939, a local priest named Father Trigàs prevented members of Franco’s army from felling the tree.